Adapted Physical Education Teacher
Adapted Physical Education Teachers conduct diversified programs of developmental activities, games, sports and rhythms suited to the needs, interests, capacities, and limitations of students with disabilities who may not safely or successfully engage in unrestricted participation in the vigorous activities of the general physical education program or a modified program in a regular class.
- Teaches children with a variety of physical and mental skill levels.
- Adapts or changes the curriculum to fit the needs of each student.
- Alters the equipment or game rules to accommodate special needs.
- Implements the kinds of physical activities that are appropriate for each student.
- Become skilled in as many physical activities as possible, and teach a skill or game.
1900 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191-1589
National Consortium for Physical Education
and Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities (NCPERID)
Diane Craft, Ph.D. State University of New York - Cortland
Dept. of Physical Education
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045
PE Central - Adapted Physical Education
P.O. Box 10262
Blacksburg, VA 24062
Fax: 800-783-8124 (USA Toll Free)